The refugee crisis has received a lot of attention. Unaccompanied minors from Central America, Syrian refugees, Rohingya refugees, and more have added up to the largest movement of displaced people since World War II. However, the sheer numbers and complexity of causes may lead to people tuning out the daily headlines. We have curated a list of resources we found helpful.
We found it helpful for Cabrini CRS Ambassadors to divide up and each become knowledgeable about one aspect of the various crises.
First start with this video explanation by Juan Sheenan of CRS. Juan is the CRS Country Representative for Honduras.
Why kids are leaving their homes (Push Factors)
- 3-min. video why children flee.
- Why Central American children are fleeing their home. This pdf goes into great detail about the push factors driving people from Central America to the United States. It also talks about immigration policy in the United States.
- What’s Causing The Latest Immigration Crisis? A Brief Explainer. This article talks about why immigrants are fleeing, why Mexican immigrants are treated differently than those of Central America, and some things the US is doing to respond to the crisis.
- The horrors driving thousands of Central American kids to take the dangerous journey to the U.S. This article tells the story of a young girl and why she chose to leave home. It also includes a photo gallery depicting some of the horrors these refugees face.
- Enrique’s Journey by Sonya Nazario has been widely read. Students at Cabrini have found it the best way to understand the journey and the consequences.
- A Smuggled Girl’s Odyssey of False Promises and Fear. This article tells the step by step story of a young girl fleeing her home for safety.
- Video: America’s child migrant crisis, explained in 2 minutes.
- Amid Wave Of Child Immigrants, Reports Of Abuse By Border Patrol. This articles is about the abuse many refugees face from the border patrol.
- What happens when unaccompanied children arrive at the U.S. border? This article goes into detail about how the US treats these refugees when they come into our country looking for help.
- Short video look inside detention center.
- The Shame of America’s Family Detention Camps. An in-depth New York Times article about the detention camps.
- Step-by-Step Guide on Apprehension and Detention of Juveniles in the United States. This is a step by step process of how the minors are taken into custody and detained.
- Central American refugees return with spring. This articles speaks of the injustices faced by refugees when we detain them in America.
- Alone and Afraid: Refugee Children Face Deportation Without Legal Representation
- 4 min. video of one girl’s story.
- UNACCOMPANIED MINORS’ RIGHTS TO DEPORTATION HEARINGS. This talks about the deportation rights the refugees have.
- Administration Moves To Speed Deportations Of Unaccompanied Minors. This is an interview that goes into detail about possibly speeding up the deportation process of the refugees.
Placement with Family in the U.S.
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services. This article has some information about reuniting children with their families and putting them into foster care.
- They Crossed the Border as Unaccompanied Minors to Reunite With Their Mom. This is an interview that tells the story of a young boy’s journey all the way until he sees his mother for the first time.
- Where are the children? For extortionists, undocumented migrants have become big business. This New Yorker article shows how kidnapping of children for ransom has become a big business. The story is about two Guatemalan boys who were kidnapped in Texas as they were trying to make it to Trenton where their parents were.